Yeh I did, you knew I would
Filed under: Knitting

Swallowtail_shawl_2

I decided that as the Mountain Stream scarf only used about half the yarn contained in this ball that it was a better use of the ball to make the Swallowtail shawl and hope that I have enough yarn to finish it – on my head be it.

I will either spin some yarn to make the scarf or I might treat myself to a ball of KSH when I am in London ina few weeks time:-)

I do have a question about the yarn though. This is the first time that I have used Cherry Tree Hill suri alpaca laceweight and I can’t help but notice that it is turning both my bamboo needles and my fingers blue! The dye doesn’t seem to be completely colourfast. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Is it a common problem with this particular yarn?

I am not too worried about the finished shawl – Iwill put some vinegar in the final rinse to "set" the dye but I am going to have to remember not to rub my nose while I am knitting this or I shall look like I have been beaten up.

Regulars to the blog may have noticed that this is my fourth post today (most unusual) as I have been adding a couple of free patterns and updating the pattern links on the sidebar. Don’t worry, they haven’t disappeared, I have just moved them to their own page as there were getting to be too many of them.

Hopefully there will be a few more to add in the near future but I can’t say anymore about that at the moment.

Have a good weekend

janle @ 6:03 pm

7 Comments for 'Yeh I did, you knew I would'

September 4, 2006 | 8:11 am

I’ve never had the dye come off while knitting CTH yarns but they do bleed like crazy when washed…and I just read on some blog (?) that vinegar can’t set a color unless it’s heates to a certain degree! I guess that means handwashing with a vinergsr rinse for the life of the garment? I dunno but post what info you get, ok?
    I love all your new patterns btw! :)

September 4, 2006 | 5:21 pm

My experience with CTH is that they fade like crazy, which probably means they keep bleeding and bleeding… You might soak it in vinegar and then simmer it to see if that helps.

September 4, 2006 | 8:18 pm

Of course you started the Swallowtail Shawl! I love that design and am seriously thinking of doing one next. That or the Diamond Fantasy Shawl/Scarf.

September 4, 2006 | 9:01 pm

Sorry, I don’t know much about CTH. I know I have a skein somewhere in the stash (at least I think so, LOL) so I’ll monitor your comments for tips n preventing serious bleeding and fading.
    I know what you mean about autumn … we had a chilly day here yesterday and I wanted to cast on a sweater right away!

September 5, 2006 | 4:39 pm

You will love the Swallowtail! join us http://swallowtailshawl.blogspot.com/

September 5, 2006 | 7:52 pm

I’m not a CTH fan for that very reason. Not only does the dye run, the sock yarn felts pretty badly, despite being supposedly superwash. But a lot of people like it, and it does come in some beautiful colors…

September 7, 2006 | 5:49 pm

Hi, I got my package in the post this morning – I love it. Thankyou so much. I’ve been wearing the scarf all day and at least a third of the ginger has already been happily munched. And of course I’m trying to decide what to make from the yarn :)