From Bad to Worse…
Filed under: Knitting/ Spinning

I promise never, ever, ever to moan about the petty things again.

At 4 o’clock yesterday morning I was woken by a phone call from my MIL’s emergency monitoring system to say that she had pressed her panic button. I shot across to her house to find her struggling for breath. I called the on call doctor who bless him hotfooted it down from the hospital to check her over and immediately admitted her with a suspected silent heart attack.

She is ok, in fact she is is fiesty enough to demand that she be sent home ;-), but she will be in for a few days while they run a few tests and get her stabilised. Add to that more gale force winds and 80mph gusts, hail and torrential rain and you get the picture that things here have been better…..

Still, between waiting for the doctor, sitting in hospital waiting rooms and knitting in sheer worry I have finished the monkey socks – photos when there is actually enough light – it is 1.15 in the afternoon and I have the lights on so I can see to type!

Meanwhile here are a few awful photos of my acquisitions last week in London

Pink_sock_yarn

This yarn is actually a deep coral pink. It is destined to be a pair of I love Gansey’s seeing as I have managed to felt my original pair……

Fasset_regia_2

A couple of balls of very out of focus Regia. Kaffe Fasset. I just fell for the greens and blues – these may finish up as Jaywalkers.

Ksh_2

Two balls of Rowan Kid Silk Haze one a sort of milk chocolate, the other brick red

The plan is to team them with these……

Scarf

Plus a little bit of cream Kid silk night to make a big soft fluffy scarf/shawl. I think it is going to be stocking stitch with seed stitch borders, I want the colours to be the star not the pattern. No idea when I will get round to this as I have some very interesting projects ahead of it in the queue.

I am working with a couple of yarn dyers from the US on new designs to show case their yarns, in fact I am knitting up a pair of fingerless gloves in a fantastic colourway from Anne at Wooly Wonka’s  which should be available in the early new year as we speak.

Consequently, my Lady Eleanor is glaring at me from the work basket :-)
Imgp1557

She is getting there – I think I am about half way – the colours in this photo are waaay off, much too blue, but until the weather improves that is all you are going to get.

Gotta go, I want to try and get to the thumb gusset on the first mitten before I go off to the hospital, only two repeats of lace to go

Have a good weekend.

janle @ 1:37 pm

13 Comments for 'From Bad to Worse…'

December 9, 2007 | 2:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law – she’s sounds like a tough cookie, though.
    The Lady Eleanor Stole is really looking lovely, and your yarn purchases seem promising.
    Take care.

Rho
    December 9, 2007 | 3:38 pm

the knitting looks great – sorry to hear about MIL – it is so hard when these things are going on – for the entire family.

carole
    December 9, 2007 | 4:12 pm

Hope your MIL is feeling much more comfortable.
    I just had a peep at your blog to see if you mentioned the weather as I am over the water on the Cotentin Peninsula and it’s pretty windy here too, but not as bad as where you are! At least it will calm down after tomorrow. Last Sunday we had to cross the Channel from England so the kids could be back at school the next day. I chose the Eurotunnel!!! (sadly it was a trip for a funeral)
    I am steadily knitting away at a boring fluffy scarf in garter stitch, a distraction from the sound of the gales.

Sally
    December 9, 2007 | 5:32 pm

So sorry to hear about your MIL, I hope she continues to improve quickly! Lovely yarn, and wips! Oh—-I sure hope your weather improves soon, too….

Tijm
    December 9, 2007 | 6:13 pm

Hope your MIL is a little better by now.

December 9, 2007 | 7:53 pm

Your MIL and mine both with their monitors. We’ve had to answer the panic alarm in the past as well. Hope your MIL continues to improve. Many thoughts going your way.

December 9, 2007 | 8:28 pm

I’m glad that your MIL is ok. That is reall scary. I hope she gets to go home soon.

December 9, 2007 | 10:09 pm

Hope your MIL is ok Janine!!

December 9, 2007 | 11:44 pm

Yikes! I’m glad your MIL seems to be doing so well – how scary.

December 10, 2007 | 2:55 pm

Yikes! I’m glad she’s doing okay! That weather sounds totally no fun at all… mmmmyarnmmmmm.

December 10, 2007 | 9:10 pm

Oh my! Well, I’m sending gale force wishes for better health for your MIL and better weather for your island!

December 10, 2007 | 9:15 pm

Hope that MIL makes a full recovery. At least you have lots of options for Hosp knitting.

December 15, 2007 | 7:48 pm

I’m sending extra-feisty thoughts to your mother-in-law. Oy, 80mph gusts! We’re battening down the hatches for a Nor’Easter here, with predictions of 30mph winds and lots and lots of snow. That’s enough for me, thank you.