J is for…..
Filed under: Uncategorized

Jumping Jehosaphat!

I seem to have gained me some fleece!

Pile o fleece

My cousin in law phone on Sunday night – she had been trying to get hold of me all day – The shearer was over and I missed it!

I was on the beach windsurfing, but she told me that he ( the shearer) had looked the fleeces over and picked out the best for me to choose from.

Well I was reasonably sensible, I only came home with two. To my untrained eye they look wonderful.

The shearer's wife is a spinner , so he knew what to look for and I am pretty sure they will be fine

Despite not being "fibre" animals they fleeces are pretty fine, I am given to understand they were both young animals – the fleeces weight about 2lb each and seem pretty clean

I haven't dared unroll them completely, but they seem to have only small ammounts of VM and very little soiling – I think he may have skirted them a little before putting them in the bin bags.

The only thing is my CIL doesn't know what kind of sheep they are! – She thinks they are Jacobs, but I haven't seen them – they are billeted miles from her house so I have no photos

This is Fleece 1

Fleece 1

Mainly white with a  few black spots

The staple length of the fleece seems to be about 6 inches.

Fleece 1 staple length

Fleece 2Fleece 2

As you can see it has more black spots :-)

Staple length about 7 inches

Fleece 2 staple

Now all I need to do is clean it

Any suggestions you spinners out there?…..

janle @ 10:49 am

5 Comments for 'J is for…..'

June 10, 2008 | 11:40 am

That fleece looks amazing, and I don’t see much VM at all. Good luck washing it. I’ve never done a raw fleece before. I’ll be watching to see how you come out. :)

June 10, 2008 | 12:04 pm

Makes me want to roll on it like my puppy does.

Sally
    June 10, 2008 | 4:09 pm

Stephanie the Yarn Harlot did a post on how she scours her wool. There are numerous sites on the internet too, where people have written out what they do. My daughter has scoured some unprocessed wool, and it wasn’t too tedious. I am sure you will do just fine, and will enjoy spinning this lovely fleece!

June 10, 2008 | 9:41 pm

Ha – I thought it was snow! On the island, in June? Yeah.
    I don’t even know how to wash a dog, never mind a fleece but my guess would be hot water and soap?

Jody
    June 13, 2008 | 6:13 pm

You can check out my blog for fleecey stuff. I am always playing with raw fleece. http://www.gypsyspinner.blogspot.com