Snow Day!
Filed under: Uncategorized

Overnight Guernsey had 3 inches of snow

Now to those of you used to snow that is not a whole lot, but for us it is huuuuge!

This is what greeted me outside the front door this morning

Real snow2

The last time we had this amount of snow was nearly 20 years ago since then we have had the odd flurry – barely enough to make a snowman.

The island is not geared up for snow. As I speak the airport is closed, the buses are not running and the official line is that unless you have experience of driving in snow and a 4×4 don't drive. The upshot of all this is that the schools are closed and I get a snow day! Poor old hubby has had to struggle into work – he's taken my car which is a 4×4 – I think he may well be one of the few today..

So I am sitting here sipping my coffee, nibbling on my toast and honey and trying to decide what to do with this bounty…… yeah I will probably knit – though I do have some ironing to do and some washing to put away – oh and there is some singles on my wheel that need to be plied as well. Oh the luxury of a day where nothing is planned,

The dog is not impressed – he has never met snow before – I don't think he likes it – he walked out the back door, round in several tight circles and straight back in again and refuses to budge from the couch :-)
Dog did go out reluctantly

Ah well off to enjoy my day – they do say we might get another dollop tonight – 2 snow days? now that would be really unusual :-)

janle @ 8:22 am

11 Comments for 'Snow Day!'

MJ
    February 2, 2009 | 11:25 am

Hi,
    Snow days are for brownies and hot cocoa or coffee..and knitting!
    enjoy!
    ( I have not introduced myself yet..just lurking and reading your blog..love your designs and your island life.)
    MJ from NY, USA

Issy
    February 2, 2009 | 11:56 am

My sister lives on The Isle of Wight and she said they got it too.

February 2, 2009 | 1:04 pm

I had no idea you could even get snow! It sure is pretty!

February 2, 2009 | 1:09 pm

Oh, lucky you!!!
    3″ of snow here is just enough to screw up rush hour, but not enough to delay school openings.

Tijm
    February 2, 2009 | 1:51 pm

See nice!!
    Great pictures!
    We love to come again to Guernsey, but this year we are going to Jersey. We were afraid that if we went now, we compair it with last time.
    Meaby next year!! Because we LOVE the island!

rho
    February 2, 2009 | 4:46 pm

doesn’t everything look magical before the snow is messed up ;)

Katie K
    February 2, 2009 | 5:07 pm

What a beautiful picture (and place).

Carole
    February 2, 2009 | 5:27 pm

I’m so envious – on the Cotentin Peninsula ‘next door’ we haven’t had nearly as much, the Channel Islands even got a mention at lunchtime on the BBC. It only started to snow here at about ten this morning and it’s only in the last hour that it has started to pile up and not melt away.
    The cats are amazed by the snow and keep going out – and then come back in with wet paws.

February 2, 2009 | 6:16 pm

Sounds like one smart dog! Very pretty picture, enjoy it while it lasts.

Leslie
    February 3, 2009 | 12:43 am

Very pretty picture! I love snow days (we get a lot of them in New Hampshire. This winter the snow seems to come in 10-inch storms.) The school districts around here ‘build’ snow days into their schedules because we expect a minimum of 3 or 4 every winter. Hope you got some good knitting done!

February 3, 2009 | 1:49 am